13 July 2010

Arrival: Sorrento, Italy


The flight from the States to Rome went easily enough. I managed to fall asleep just as rosey-fingered dawn reached over the horizon. I never sleep well on planes anyway.
The real trouble began when I landed in Rome. Apparently, I was supposed to get my plane tickets through to Naples when I checked in at Columbus airport, but I never did. I was told to go wait at this desk for someone to help me. After 20 minutes of waiting a woman finally showed up and printed off the information I needed. I then rushed through security and ran through customs (the didn't even stamp my passport). At this point I had aboput 30 minutes to make my flight to Naples. I got to the gate just as they were boarding the plane where I was told that I had to go back to another desk to get a different ticket to get on the plane. I ran to the desk and ditched everyone in line and proceeded to yell at the woman behind the desk until she printed off my ticket.
Thankfully, I made it to Naples.

What a nightmare.

When I landed Scott was there to meet me and I realized how much I had missed him! We took the next bus to Sorrento and checked into the Casa Asarita hotel and then I napped until some point in the evening when the sun had already set. Once we were awake, we headed out to Sorrento to find a place to eat and another place to watch the World Cup final.
España won! Hurray!!!

The nest day Scott and I hopped on a train to Naples to go to the archeological Museum. What a waste of time that would prove to be. There was some sort of protest against cut wages occuring which resulted in the museum being closed down for the rest of the day.

Damnit.

We did have tastey pizza at Pizzaria Belini though. So we got back on the train and headed to Herculeneum instead. It was a neat site but Scott and I were so frustrated, annoyed, and so extremely hot and sweaty that I just didn't get into it very much.

I walked away from the experience exhausted and with no less than a dozen mosquito bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment